Conditions of Entry
Pikihuia Awards 2017
Entrants must be of New Zealand Māori descent.
- Entries must be original, your own work, not previously published or under contract, and no longer than 3000 words (for short stories) or three chapters long (for novel extracts).Guidelines for all entries, including film scripts, can be downloaded from here.
- There is no limit to the number of entries an individual may submit. However, each new submission must be uploaded with a new entry form.
- For novel extracts, select the best three chapters and submit only those.
- All entries must be typed with double spaces and saved as a .docx. or a .pdf.
- All entries must have the title (of the short story, novel extract or film script) and category typed on the top of each page of the entry.
- Each page of the entry should be numbered.
- Do not include your name on your work; your name should only be on the entry form.
- Entry forms can be found at huia.co.nz or mlt.co.nz.
- Entries must be received by 5pm, Tuesday, 18 April 2017. Entries received after this closing date will not be eligible.
- Entries will be acknowledged but not returned.
- Huia Publishers’ staff, the sponsors (including their staff members), the judges, and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Finalists will be notified in June 2017.
- Winners will be announced in September at the awards ceremony in Wellington.
- Winners must be prepared to attend the awards ceremony and be involved in promotional activities as reasonably requested by the organisers.
- Winners of the Best Short Story in English, Best Short Story in Māori, Best Novel Extract in English and Best Short Film Script in English will receive a cash prize of $2000. Two highly commended finalists in each category will receive a cash prize of $500 each. Selected winners and finalists will also be published in Huia Short Stories 12 – the contemporary fiction series published by HUIA. HUIA reserves the right to publish these entries without additional payment to the authors.
- The winner of the School Student category will receive a $500 cash prize, and their school will receive $250 worth of HUIA books. Two highly commended finalists will receive a cashprize of $250 each, and their schools will receive $100 worth of HUIA books.